OVERLAND PARK CITY SPOTLIGHT
Rated one of the best places to live and work in the United States, year after year, Overland Park, KS continues to attract highly educated professionals, families, and corporations through it’s affordable cost of living, high-paying jobs, exceptional schools and plethora of family-friendly amenities.
What makes Overland Park so unique? How have they been able to accomplish what so many other cities can only dream? And why have they continued to rank so high in numerous national studies? Check out this info graphic from Fulk Chiropractic and learn how this Kansas City suburb stands out from the rest.
Overland Park’s Top-Rated Schools
Total Enrollment: 73,427
Elementary Schools: 87
Middle Schools: 24
High Schools: 14
Student to Teacher Ratio: Elementary Schools: 24:1; High Schools: 19:1
Overland Park’s Top Colleges and Universities
It’s no secret why Overland Park has such a high concentration of educated professionals when you look at this list of graduate, undergraduate and associate programs available to full-time and part-time students in Overland Park. These colleges and universities make it easy for both traditional students and working adults to further their education.
- Johnson County Community College – Johnson County Community College provides students with extensive undergraduate credit classes that make up the first two years of most college coursework. Students can earn an associate’s degree, complete courses that can later transfer to a four-year college or university, or complete several programs that prepare them to immediately enter the job market in several high-employment fields.
- Baker University School of Professional & Graduate Studies – Baker University’s Overland Park Campus offers masters, bachelors’ and associate degrees in business, management, mass media and liberal arts.
- University of Saint Mary – The Overland Park Campus of the University of Saint Mary provides students with evening accelerated graduate and undergraduate courses in business, education and psychology.
- Ottawa University Kansas City – Ottawa University’s Accelerated degree programs in Overland Park cater to adult learners by offering graduate and undergraduate degrees for working adults.
- Wright Career College – An institution of higher learning that serves a culturally diverse population and provides the essential professional competencies needed in the 21st century.
- Cleveland Chiropractic College – Offering Doctor of Chiropractic, B.S. in Human Biology, and coursework for other health professional categories.
- National American University – A cornerstone of higher education, offering flexible degree programs designed for working adults seeking new careers.
Things to See and Do in Overland Park
OP Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
The OP Arboretum and Botanical Gardens are on 300 acres of natural areas providing a restoration area for native ecosystems and opportunities for kids and adults to learn about native plants and animals.
Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead
Younger kids will love visiting this historic farmstead. Activities include a petting zoo, a little farmhouse, a few slides, ducks, a fishing pond and gardens where kids can see how to grow vegetables. The Farmstead also offers special community events throughout the summer where kids and adults can learn about harvesting apples, pumpkins and what life is like on a Kansas farm.
Overland Park Farmer’s Market
Every Saturday during the summer and fall months, downtown Overland Park is busy with fresh vegetables, flowers, herbs, baked goods and just about anything you might want to purchase at their farmers market. This friendly farm-to-table experiences makes it easy for Overland Park residents to eat local!
Overland Park Soccer Complex
Rated the top soccer facility in the nation by Livability, the Overland Park Soccer Complex is the only complex of its kind! With 96 acres, its12 regulation size synthetic turf fields are the center of the city’s activities during soccer season.
Downtown Overland Park
Families will enjoy visiting the local shops and art galleries in Overland Park’s downtown historic district. Enjoy restaurants and step back in time with a visit to the Strang Carriage House.
Oak Park Mall
Oak Park Mall offers something for everyone. From anchor stores like Macy’s and Nortstrom to specialty shops like American Girl and Barnes and Noble, Oak Park Mall is a destination for the entire Kansas City Metro area.
Operation Wildllife cares for injured wild animals and then releases them back into the wild. They offer education programs throughout the year where families can watch live birds of prey or learn about the behavior of various Kansas wildlife.
With 83 parks, Overland Park enjoys some of the most beautiful natural areas in Kansas City. Overland Park KS offers area residents and visitors 1,800 acres of open space in the form of parks and natural areas.
Hiking and Walking Trails
Looking for some ideas of where to take a walk? Here’s our list of top picks for Overland Park trails:
- Indian Creek Bike and Hike Trail – With 17 miles of Overland Park natural beauty and safety (patrolled by the Overland Park Police Department) the Indian Creek Bike and Hike Trail is the premier spot to put one foot in front of the other and go for a walk! Ten miles of this 17 mile trail are in Overland Park, KS. To access the trail, begin at Foxhill South Park at 109th St and El Monte. Then follow the trail south to Forest Creek Park at 125th and Pflumm.
- Turkey Creek Streamway Park Trail – This beautiful trail is paved and runs from 75th St. to Antioch Road. It follows Turkey Creek, passes through a butterfly garden and is often shaded by the deciduous trees near the trail.
Many Overland Park parks offer handicap accessible parking, playgrounds for children, and picnic tables which are close to restrooms and trash services.
Overland Park’s New Theatre Restaurant with its 5-star meals and performances continually welcomes famous TV personalities and well-known performers. Its shows include and jaw-dropping dance performances, inspirational musicals, children’s events and comedians that will leave you laughing long after they’re off stage.
Community Events and Festivals
Overland Park’s mild spring and fall weather allows for hundreds of city events throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons.
Here are a few of our favorite annual events:
- Downtown OP Concert Series
- Sculpture Exhibitions at the Arboretum
- Jazz in the Woods at Corporate Woods
- 4th of July Star Spangled Spectacular
- Overland Park Fall Festival
- Annual Holiday Market
- The Mayor’s Lighting Ceremony and Santa
- Overland Park Boat Show – January
- Johnson County Home and Garden Show – February
- Just for Her Expo – June
- KC Star Bridal Expo – July
- Speaking of Women’s Health – October
The Overland Park International Trade Center hosts numerous trade shows, public exhibitions and annual meetings. Its wide loading portals and open floor plan are perfect for some of the largest shows in the area.
State-of-the-Art Health Care & Emergency Services
- OP Regional Medical Center
- St. Luke’s South Hospital
- Menorah Medical Center
- Mid-America Rehabilitation Hospital
- Children’s Mercy South Hospital
- Fulk Chiropractic
Overland Park Organizations and Events We Proudly Sponsor
- Overland Park Chamber of Commerce
- Johnson County Community College Health Fair
- Johnson County Home and Garden Show
- Overland Park Rotary Star Spangled Spectacular
- Midwest Kids Fest
- Business to Business Expo
- Optum RX
- Sprint Health Fair
- IAKC Health Fair
- KC Golf Show
- Head for the Cure 5K Expo
- Great KC Pet Expo
- Costco OP Health Fair
- Mommy Con
- Rock the Parkway
We created this post because we love Overland Park and wanted to show what a wonderful city it is! Our 11 doctors proudly offer chiropractic treatment 7 days a week. If you or someone you know is suffering from headaches, back pain, neck pain or sciatica, we’d really appreciate the referral. Thanks for stopping by! It means a lot to all of us at Fulk Chiropractic.